Why does it happen?Certain factors increase the chances of snoring:
• Physiology – Anatomical nature of our airways
• Sex – Men tend to put on upper body weight and therefore have more fat and soft tissue around the neck
• Weight – If you are overweight then the amount of soft tissue around your neck increases
• Age – As we get older the muscles in our throat get weaker
• Lifestyle – Some people snore after drinking alcohol and taking sedatives
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA)?Some snorers “STOP” snoring and breathing for a few seconds and then this is followed by a gasp of air and/or snorting and choking. This can happen several times in the night. Every time we stop breathing this is known as Apnoea- our bodies get starved off oxygen. Most OSA victims have no memory of this night time breathing struggle. OSA sufferers do not have restful sleep and are often affected by daytime sleepiness and other health problems.
How does OSA affect your lifestyle and health?The lack of sleep can cause:
• Daytime sleepiness
• Poor motivation
• High stress levels
• Lack of energy and less effectiveness at work
In addition OSA also affects your health:
• Increased blood pressure
• Increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
• Poor relationships with partner
What can we do to help The Smile Designerz?
A comprehensive questionnaire would be filled out along with a thorough clinical examination. From this the clinician would determine whether you suffer from ‘simple snoring’ or OSA. If you suffer from OSA you will be referred onto a ‘Sleep Study’ clinic where the diagnosis would be confirmed.
However if you suffer from ‘simple snoring’ you will be offered the option of having a customized Mandibular Advancement splint to be made. This is an intraoral device, which has been clinically proven to stop snoring and alleviate the symptoms of OSA. Improving your and your partner’s quality of life.